Pages

Saturday 26 November 2016

Planet Yarn Granny Square Pattern and Diagram

There are many, many ways to hook up a granny square.  And this, I find, can be a bit of a problem!  How do you remember which particular variation of the granny square pattern were you using to make your ongoing pile of squares? 

I decided to solve my dilemma by creating a Planet Yarn version of the pattern so I would always know which pattern I'd been using!  I thought it would be useful for other granny squarers out there too, particularly if it had a diagram to go with it too!

I had a brief battle (I was victorious) with a cracking little piece of free software called Stich Works Software and came up with this pretty little picture:


created with Stitch Works Software

Here's the key:

And here's the written instructions:

 
Ch 4 and slst to make a ring

Round 1: ch3, all following double crochet  stitches into the 4ch ring: 2dc, ch3, 3dc, ch3, 3dc, ch3, 3dc, ch 3, stst into third ch of starting chain.

Round 2: ch3, *3dc into next ch space, ch3, 3dc into the same ch space*, repeat until last ch space, 3dc into last ch space, ch3 2dc into same space and slst into third ch of starting ch. 

Round 3: ch3, 3dc into next ch3 space, ch 3, *3dc into same ch space, 3dc into space in round 2, 3dc into ch space, ch3* repeat from * twice, then ch3, 3dc into 3ch space, 2dc into same ch space and slst into third ch of starting ch.
 
Here's a hooked up square using Stylecraft Special dk in Empire and a 5.5mm hook.
 

 
 
Now, if, like me, you have multiple projects on the go and can never remember which hook you were using, I'd like to introduce you to a fantastic little gadget:
 
photo from Lana Bou
 
 
It's a stitch marker with the hook size you're using on it!  Very clever indeed!  A fabulous Etsy shop called Lana Bou stocks these stitch markers




My markers have beads that match the handles of the knitpro crochet hooks that I love so much I sell them in my shop!

Give Kate, the shop owner, a message on the checking out part of her shop to let her know which numbers and colours you'd like, she is very friendly and will help you get exactly what you need.  She also made me my rather fabulous 'crocheter' necklace too.  Have a mooch, it's a lovely shop full of pretty yarny related shinies! 

And now a completely gratuitous shot of my very own 12 x 12 granny square blanket I'm hooking up, using my 'Empress' yarn pack from the Planet Yarn Shop.  Oh and look, a handy little stitch marker to remind me which hook I'm using...heh!  
 


 
Happy Hooking!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment